May 09, 2009

Crazy Saturdays

I woke up this morning at 5:30, so I could get to our 7AM training in time. I was in charge of 'water stops', which meant I had the bins with water, gatorade and cups and had to get the to the appropriate stations on our route so everyone could stay hydrated.

We were all moving by 7:15, after announcements, sign in, and what not.

We finished at 7:50, where I told one of the coaches, "We can't start this late. It's too damn hot and I'm dying here..."

Everyone agreed and start time is bumped now to 6:30, and we all feel certain that within the next month, our training times will start at 5:30AM.

And... I'm OK with that... because it was SO frickin' hot and humid this morning.

At 8:15 it was 85 deg with 90% humidity. I was toast.

I got home at 9, where my husband had already left for Bone's last Lacrosse game, a game I did NOT want to miss, but which was an hour away. I quickly showered, grabbed my eldest who was still sleeping, and made our way down to watch his 10AM game, which started at 10:15.

They defeated the undefeated team in the league in both a stunning upset and comeback.

Unfortunately... it was 95 degrees, 90% humidity, and we were all roasting.

And it was supposed to be a double header with our team playing two different teams... an hour rest in between.

They shortened the game to four 10 minute quarters... but hot is hot and it was a mess. (The 2nd game started at 12:30. Blech.)

They won both games.

But in between games, my husband left with my two older boys because we had offered to assist the church's Food Pantry that feeds the local homeless. This big Post Office food drive... food goes to the church's food pantry.

My boys each needed one service hour to make First Class in Boy Scouts.

They were there from 2PM until 7:45, unloading food, sorting, boxing and putting boxes where they needed to be.

I joined them after Bones' game at 3.

I think we sorted through over 25,000 pounds of food.

Sidenote: When giving food away, please don't throw in food you know is bad. If the can is swollen, throw it in the garbage can. If you know you've had the can for 6 years, check the expiration date. If it's expired, please throw it out. We don't feed bad food to the homeless and families in need.

Second sidenote: I'm perpetually amazed at the weird crap people eat.

Third sidenote: If you need help with something, seriously, call the Boy Scouts. The boys we had with us realized we were under staffed to do this big job. The church just didn't have enough people to step up. With hundreds and hundreds of mail boxes full of grocery bags of food to sort through, they got on their phones and started the Troop phone chain, and suddenly there were more boys, more hands, more help... and we finished ALL that food in ONE HOUR. It would have taken us twice as long without the reinforcements. Keep in mind, at that point, we'd all been there for 4 hours, on our feet, hauling cans of food.

I love Scouting.

Anyway, we took the boys for take out as we're all tired. I can hardly keep my eyes open and I have a pounding headache.

I don't even think I'm bothering to say good night to my family tonight. I think I'm just ending this post and crashing.

I'll be sleeping in... for sure.

I'm beat.

Posted by Boudicca at May 9, 2009 09:24 PM

happy mother's day

Posted by: wRitErsbLock at May 10, 2009 08:48 AM

ALL of you earned and good night's sleep.

And Happy Mother's Day!

Posted by: Mrs. Who at May 10, 2009 10:18 AM

Life is to short to spend three-quarters of it surviving Florida summers. At least here in Texas we only have six months of summer a year.

By the way, you're amazing. How are those toenails coming along?

Posted by: Bob at May 10, 2009 09:18 PM

Your life wears me out.

Posted by: Sissy at May 10, 2009 09:21 PM

I slept all day. I caught another cold a few days ago, and I just can only do so much. Today was a waste.

Bob- Toenails. Heh. It take NINE MONTHS for one big toenail to grow in. I have 2 more months for the left food. I have 5 more months on the left.

I use my toenails to creep out the little kids. My niece tonight was being a handful with my sister in law, so I said, "Come on over here and sit with your Aunt Bou. I have something to show you!" I took off my socks and she screamed. She found something other to do than to harrass her Mama and me. ;-)

Posted by: Bou at May 10, 2009 09:27 PM